Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Books, Books and More Books!

I just reread my last blog post, and I forgot that I was going to blog my book reviews! On a better note, I'm well on my way to reaching my goal of reading 100 books this year - I'm on book #84 as we speak! One of my college friends recommended Ann B. Ross', "Miss Julia" series and I am loving it! I'm on book number 6 of the series, and if any book deserves to be blogged about, it's any Miss Julia book! (although that's not what this blog post is about!)

Since I have failed to blog book reviews with each book that I read, I guess I will have to incorporate that into next year's resolutions - perhaps another 100 books, but at least 30 book reviews? We'll see!

I do have two book related points for this blog - first, I have found a new online book tracking system. This allows me to follow other readers, join online book clubs, keep track of what I've read, am currently reading, and what I plan to read. It allows me to see a book review and list that book on my "to read" list so I won't forget it. My library must think I'm crazy, as I pick up 2-6 books every week. I use my list to check my library's inventory, and request holds for the books I want to read. This awesome new tool is called "Shelfari" - it's powered by Amazon.

Second, my library has a great used book store. I am there at least once each week, finding great bargains. I don't understand people that spend almost $30 on a new hardback, read it once, then donate it - but I'm thankful for them! I get to buy those $30 hardbacks for $1 at my library! I found some great books this week, and have them stacked next to my reading chair. (I promise I have a point here...) I'm all about supporting my local library, and I'm all about books, so I've decided to have a book exchange. I've invited pretty much every reader I know to bring whatever books they have but don't want, for whatever reason, to exchange for books they might enjoy. I have culled a stack or two that I'm willing to part with - although they are mostly duplicates! :) Whatever books no one ends up with will be donated to my library. If they don't put them on the shelves, they will put them in their bookstore, and the income from the books will go to buy new books for the library and to fund the scholarship the library gives to a high school student each year.

I know it's hard to part with books when you just love them, but if you can find a few that you know you won't read again, or perhaps books that you just couldn't get into, there are plenty of places that could use them. Women's shelters, children's shelters, libraries, even schools. All you have to do is look around - even if the books will be sold to raise money, if it's for a good cause, then it's worth it.

Until next time, I'm enjoying Miss Julia - what are you reading?

No comments: